Since I apparently can't keep a blog with the full Maiden Rune story on it, I'm planning to make archives available for download that contain all the images and the story. Rather than create an HTML file and embed the images like I had on the previous site, I was thinking of integrating the images and narrative more closely, something like this:
What do you guys think? I like the presentation for keeping the story and image together. I'm intentionally keeping the story off the images themselves because I personally find that distracting, and the left-hand side is easily cropped for those who prefer to do without story altogether. The actual image itself is the same size as before, I just extended the canvas to fill the standard 1920x1200 widescreen resolution.
The only thing that bothers me is it feels like the image needs a border, but I don't like those either. I may still play around with this, but this my first stab at it. I'm open to suggestions and comments.

11 comments:
Looks fine to me.
Will you continue to produce PDF's as well?
Crosseyed John
Seems to be a rash of that lately. I've updated your link so no dead ends from me :) Looking forward to the finished work!
PDFs? I'm not sure what you mean. I won't be posting the images and story directly on the blog like the previous site, since that was what I think got me into trouble.
I plan to post a story index a brief summary of each set, with links to downloadble archives for each one. So you'll basically have to download the set instead of viewing it on the blog.
I just need to get the images re-tagged with the new site and decide on how I'm going to present the story -- either local HTML emulating how the site was before, or added to teh images themselves.
Sorry, mate, my brain was out for lunch.
What I meant was the word docs with pictures, having each section with the story & pics together was really good.
Crosseyed John
I definitely want to keep the story and images together, but I'm thinking of putting the text within the images themsleves (like my example in this post) instead of having it in a separate file.
I also want to make it easy for those who don't care about story to get rid of it, however -- I know some people just want the images. The text in the preview should be easy to crop for anyone that really doesn't want it.
I'm still waffling between text in the image and just providing a local HTML file that looks like the old site.
I like the way it looks but maybe you could have two sets, one with text and one without.
I'm glad your up and running again.
Aussie.
@Aussie
I thought about that, but two sets is too much work. Even one set with the text embedded is more work than I expected, which is why I'm seriously considering leaving the images as they were and creating a HTML file in the archive that has the story and looks just like the old site did. That way the people who want text can have it, but the people that don't can easily skipping -- no editing required.
Amazing story, for me maybe the best of all! The text is very good, I wouldn't do without it.
I'm looking forward to the continuation.
@Anon
You flatter me. I'm really glad you like the story. I expect there will be more between Lady Grayson and Briston in the future.
Very good work I liked the story too. Thank you very much for the share :-)
hot
Post a Comment